have you been touched?
The healing power of touch. Here is a description of the different types of massage stroke. There are many types of body massages that can arouse, sooth, and relieve. The earliest date of origin for massage therapy was back in 2700 B.C.E, which was about 4700 years ago.
At this date, there was a historical book created involving Chinese medicinal traditions and it was titled “The Yellow Emperor’s Classic Book of Internal Medicine.”
Ancient Egypt (2500 B.C.E.): About 200 years later, the reflexology technique was developed by the ancient Egyptians. Reflexology is based on the idea that the body has many reflexes that come from the feet (we know this because of ticklish reflexes) and these reflexes mirror every organ in the body.
Massaging is more than touching. It is medicine.
There are many styles of massage, and some share similar techniques. Here is a summary of the more common ones:
• Swedish massage. This uses a series of long, gliding strokes designed to soothe aching muscles, relax connective tissue, and improve circulation. It’s ideal for newcomers and those wanting a basic, relaxing massage.
• Deep-tissue massage. This targets tissues and muscle deep below the skin’s surface in order to release tension, minimize knots, and mobilize fluids within the muscle tissue. Deep-tissue massage shouldn’t hurt, but it is often less comfortable than a regular Swedish massage. People with specific muscle pain benefit the most.
• Structural massage. Structural massage realigns and lengthens muscles that have become unbalanced or shortened from built-up stress and allows bones and joints to return to their natural alignment. It is especially helpful for people with postural or back problems.
• Trigger-point massage. This is designed to relieve pain caused by small, constricted areas of muscle called trigger points. For example, a trigger point in the neck may cause pain in the head. Trigger points often are a result of injuries, overuse, muscle strain, and emotional distress.
• Sports massage. Similar to Swedish massage, this style focuses on healing, recovery, and preventing and treating sports-related injuries.
• Chair massage. This is an option for people who are uncomfortable with being partially unclothed or cannot lie down comfortably.
Kendra Outler, MD, MPH
Founder, Uzima Health & Wellness
Uzima's Top Tips for the COVID-19 Vaccine
We recommend that you receive only one type of the COVID-19 vaccine: Pfizer or Moderna.
Get both doses of the same type of vaccine on the recommended schedule.
Common side effects include: a) arm pain in the location where you got the shot; b) you may feel tired or have common cold symptoms.
You may take Tylenol or Ibuprofen after the shot.
The vaccines are highly effective in preventing COVID-19.
If you should get the virus, the vaccine will prevent you from getting seriously ill from it.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF HAWTHORN BERRY
Hawthorn is a flowering shrub or tree of the rose family. It grows in temperate regions throughout the world. Historically, hawthorn has been used for heart disease as well as for low blood pressure, and other conditions.
Here are 7 of the many benefits of Hawthorn:
Hawthorn berry is loaded with antioxidants that help neutralize free radicals that can harm your body when they are present at high levels.
Hawthorn can lower the risk of type 2 diabetes, some cancers, asthma heart problems and premature skin aging.
It may help lower blood pressure
Helps prevent hair loss
May reduce anxiety
Used to treat heart failure
Used to aid digestion
Everybody loves a good smoothie. But in the middle of winter, we can switch things up a bit and add some spices to it, so that it’s not cooling to ...